Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Preparing for the Massive Haboob

No, that is not a typo. Missy and I are making final arrangements to get prepared for the massive haboob.  Arizona has some strange weather that only residents can truly appreciate. When we first moved to Tucson several years ago, I always thought it was funny that they were expecting a summer monsoon. To me, a monsoon meant extremely wet, humid weather. It made me think of the tropics and rain forests, not southern Arizona where the average yearly rainfall is only 12 inches. I have seen weeks in Texas with that much rain. We also found it strange that a 1 to 2 inch rain in the Arizona desert can cause widespread flooding.

Many of you know that we will be heading to Phoenix for Missy's liver transplant next week. We may very likely encounter a massive haboob while there. No, we aren't heading to southern California or Las Vegas. A haboob is not some organ or condition involved in Missy's health. I had never heard of the term until seeing it in the news today. It was the term used for a large dust storm in Phoenix. Although it is fun to say, I hope that we can avoid any haboobs.

It is difficult to believe that the transplant is almost here. We would greatly appreciate your prayers that an opening will occur in the transplant housing at the Mayo Clinic. All rooms are currently occupied. As a result, we will be staying in a local hotel until there is an opening. The Mayo housing would be much cheaper for us and more like a home setting.

Missy's transplant is scheduled for Friday, July 15. I will post updates on Facebook during the surgery. I will try to post a summary update on this blog after the surgery is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment