Saturday, March 23, 2013

Happy, Happy, Happy

My nephew, Jody's, kidney transplant has been completed, and we are very pleased with the results. Of course, an "Allen Adventure" had to be thrown in for good measure.

It seems that the best transplant surgeons are perfectionists who seldom achieve the fit they want on the first attempt. This is a very good thing. Jody's transplant surgeon finally had the blood flow to the new kidney the way he wanted it on the third attempt. The remaining challenge was getting blood flow from the kidney to the main vein in Jody's leg. A vascular surgeon was called in to take a graft from Jody's other leg. This procedure was successful, and the surgeons were satisfied. We are very thankful that they are so picky.

At one point, the doctors were considering whether to attempt to save the kidney or the leg. Their choice would have been to save the leg and attempt another transplant with a new kidney. Thankfully, that decision never had to be made. I don't remember signing up for a leg transplant before the surgery.

Other than the blood flow issue, the transplant was fairly uneventful. At least that is what they tell me. I remember being wheeled into the operating room. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't like I had seen on TV. I scooted over to the operating table, and tried to get comfortable. Yes, it was a little chilly in there, and I was definitely not dressed for cooler weather. The nurses put a mask over my nose and mouth. I started praying to get myself relaxed and ready for the surgery. I think I got as far as, "Dear God,...". The next thing I remember is waking up in my hospital room. They say I was in recovery for a couple of hours, but I don't remember any of it. I had a hard time staying awake for the rest of the day. Apparently, I am a big fan of anesthesia. I do remember falling asleep while trying to eat the hospital food. I think that was due to a combination of anesthesia after effects and the boredom of the clear liquid diet.

Jody had to spend some time in ICU, so I walked down to see him on Tuesday. It was good to get up and moving even if Missy couldn't stop laughing at me. I had green hospital socks, blue wraps on my calves to keep circulation going, and two different color (and sized) hospital gowns to keep everything covered. I also had my handy, dandy IV pole to wheel around with me. Add all of that to the hunched over, old man walk of someone who just had major abdominal surgery, and you have quite a sight to behold. Jody looked really good considering all that he had been through. The new kidney was working well, and his numbers improved day by day. Eventually, he did get moved into a regular hospital room a couple of doors down from me. I was released from the hospital on Wednesday, and Jody escaped on Friday afternoon.

All in all, it was a very long and very successful week. Missy asked me a few days ago if I would do it all over again. I told her that I would have to think about it because I only have one kidney now. I don't think that is what she meant. I have no regrets at all about donating a kidney. It made it a lot easier knowing it was going to my nephew. We give him a hard time sometimes, but that is part of the territory of being an Allen. We are very proud of the man, husband, and father that he has become. Jody has a great wife and amazing kids. We are continuing to pray that his new kidney will help him enjoy the quality of life that he deserves and desires.

If any of you are considering organ donation, I would highly recommend it. Living organ donation isn't for everyone, but I do sincerely believe that just about everybody should be organ donors when they die. You may be surprised how many people you can help with your gift. My father-in-law didn't have many useful organs due to a long list of illnesses. Several people, however, were recipients of parts of his eyes. Their lives will never be the same. Missy and I have been on both sides of living organ donation, and both are a blessing.

Thank you for all of the prayers, support and encouragement through this latest journey. Jody, myself, and our families greatly appreciate it. We are all doing well, and as Phil Robertson would say, we are all "happy, happy, happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment